Wednesday, May 30, 2007

5 Lessons Learnt When Exploring Public Toilets In China

It has been quite some time since I last posted on this blog...I was in Xiamen,China for 2 weeks with my grandpa and uncle to attend a wedding.

Before I proceed to the main topic,I've something to tell you.I have been posting a lot of toilet videos on www.youtube.com. There are a number of them which are not featured here.If you are interested in viewing them,please go to youtube and search under Marcoboy9074.

You'll be able to view all the toilet videos I've posted.Some of them will be featured here soon.But the others will remain there.If you want to grab my latest updates on toilets,please view my videos at youtube.com. The stuff there is more updated than what you see here.

Of course,there are some pictures here that you can't see there.Visit both sides to get a complete picture.

Now let me proceed into today's topic...After visiting China's public toilets,I start to appreciate the public toilets of Singapore and Hong Kong.

As you can see in the photos,the public toilets are dimly lit.It's not easy to get a clear picture unless I use flash.But there are attendants and I don't wish to create any trouble with them.The very first lesson learnt is to visit the toilets in the day time.

Lesson 1:Visit Only During Day Time


Next,when shooting videos and taking photos,choose a cubicle that's well-lit.It's quite difficult to do so,but just find the best.Of course if possible,visit during the day time.I wasn't able to visit all these toilets in the day because I was with my relatives.Only during the evenings then I go toilet exploring.

Lesson 2:Choose The Best Lit Cubicle To Do Video Shoots and Taking Photos.


Searching for the public toilets is very much like treasure hunting.You really got to look hard if not you won't be able to find it.From my experience,as long as you proceed along the road the W.C. sign is pointing to,you should be able to find it.

That's true for 90% of the public toilets I've visited.Some of the public toilets are in narrow dark alleys.Not matter what,keep going straight from the sign's direction.

Lesson 3:Keep going straight from the W.C. Sign.

If you like the older toilets,like me,then you need to know what are their characteristics.It differs from country to country.For Xiamen's case,all the new or renovated toilets have names.If you see a public toilet with a name outside,it's new or renovated.

The older ones,like those shown above,all don't have names.They only have the serial numbers.Which in these cases,the first one is A037 and the other one is A023.

I'll include the toilets with names in my subsequent posts.

Lesson 4:New Toilets Have Names While Old Ones Don't.

There are a number of different flushing systems in Xiamen.The latest system is by stepping on a pedal.Next there's the push-button flush.There's a button(looks like the button on our taps) on a pipe,push it to flush.

Third we have the tap system.There's a handle on the pipe leading to the toilet bow.Turn the handle to turn on the water to flush.Turn off to stop flushing.The oldest type is the cistern.Just like the older toilets of Singapore and Hong Kong.I will definitely do a post on this one.Stay tuned.

Back to toilet hunting...one of the methods I use is to keep a lookout when travelling around.Keep looking out for signs.There are certain places where there are no signs,but the toilets are there.

A few things to lookout for...whenever you see a night market,or a marketplace,there has to be a public toilet nearby.Next thing,look out for bus terminus.There will definitely be one nearby.Tourist spots will definitely have toilets.But they are usually the new ones.Which I'm not so interested in.

Lesson 5:Look Out For Night Markets,Market Places,Bus Terminus,Dark Alleys,Tourist Spots & Parks.

To be effective in toilet hunting,you need to keep exploring places.Certain places seem unlikely to have toilets turn out to have one.Like A037 above.I stumbled upon this toilet while exploring a lane that was selling some food.

Good news is that the government is coming up with a toilet map in June.I hope to be able to get it soon.On my next visit,I can cover more toilets.

Stay tuned for my other toilet posts...Here's a preview...I'll be posting on
1.My Favourite Toilet In Xiamen,with video.
2.The Most Horrible Sounding Toilet,with video.
3.Public Toilet A013,with video.
4.Tian Fu Tea House Rest Area Toilet,with video.
5.Public Toilet A025,with video.
6.Public Toilet A037,with video.
7.China's American Standard,with video.
8.Nan Pu Tuo Temple's Sensored Flush,with video.
9.My Favourite Toilet In Singapore,with video.
10.Singapore's Johore Pipe Co.,with video.

That's a lot.Stay tuned.See you soon.

No comments: