Saturday, November 17, 2007

Marco's 10 Quotes On Toilets

After around 24 years of experience in toilets,I have came up with some quotes and tips regarding toilets.Hopefully you can benefit from them when you are looking for old and rare toilets.


1."You Can't Judge A Toilet By Its Exterior."

This is a time-tested principle.There were many times,I thought a toilet was renovated from its exterior.But when I went in,I was surprised to find old toilet bowls in there.I'm sure if you are a toilet fan like you,you have encountered similar cases.


2."If you can't find what you want in a public toilet,try a private toilet."

We are living in the 21st century.Most of those old toilets are either renovated or demolished.Especially public toilets.Public toilets have the highest tendency to be renovated,because of wear and tear.

What do I mean by private toilets?Private toilets are toilets that are privately owned.Examples are home toilets,toilets from shops and toilets from individual offices.

If you can't find what you want in a public toilet,tendency is the toilet is already renovated.Try going to a shop and buy something.Then ask if you can use their toilet.

You might have to get out of your comfort zone to do that.


3."The Higher You Go,The Higher Your Chances Of Finding An Old,Original Toilet."

This applies to commercial buildings,offices and shopping malls.The reason for this is simple.The ground floor toilets are used the most often.They have the highest tendency to wear and tear,resulting in renovation or replacements.

The higher you go,the less people use the toilets.As a result,less wear and tear.Therefore it is likely that the toilet is old and original.

However,this may not be the case always.Some buildings renovate all their toilets at once.No matter which floor,it is all renovated.But if it is in the process of renovating,then they usually start with the lower floors first.


4."If You Can't Find The Old,Original Toilet In The Mall Itself,Try The Car Park Toilets."

There were many times this theory worked for me.The car park toilets are usually not used.Even if they are used,they are seldom used by the public.Usually only by the car park attendant.

Since only a few people use it,the management will usually not renovate it.


5."If The Exterior Of The Building Is Old And Run Down,You Have A 50% Chance Of Finding An Old Toilet In There."

This is not to be confused with the first quote.Basing on my experience,if the exterior of the building is old and run down,it means that the management is not very keen in upgrading and renovating.

If that's the case,the toilets are usually the old,original ones.


6."Leave No Toilet Unexplored."

I'm sure you heard of "leave no stone unturned".This quote is very true.When you comb the whole area,leave no toilet unexplored.You will never know what you will find.

There were many times I was so tired after exploring the toilets,I wanted to stop for the day.But it is usually that time when I start to find those rare toilets.No matter how tired you are,persist all the way,until you finish exploring every single toilet in the area.

When it comes to buildings,explore every floor.Yes,I mean it.Every floor.The most unreliable toilet is the ground floor toilet.That one has the highest tendency to be renovated and replaced.

Sometimes the highest floor may be renovated because it happends to be a restaurant or some "high activity" place.The original toilets may be on the middle floors.You never know.So my advice is to leave no toilets unexplored.


7."The Best Rare Toilets Are Usually Found In Places Where Few People Go."

You may already know where I am referring to.This is definitely not for the faint-hearted.You really really must be daring enough.But hey,if you are a toilet fan like me,you will brave everything in order to find your rare toilet.

Am I right?

Alright,I have went off tangent.The place where I found the best old,rare toilets are the cemeteries,crematoriums and columbariums.These places are usually quite deserted and they usually house those old and rare toilets.

Question is...Are you daring enough to venture into them?

I have ventured into them a few times,at different places.And I have encountered some "things" from the other world.I admit that I was scared then.But my mission of finding the toilets are more important.

I had to proceed despite the fear.I encountered those "things" twice in Hong Kong and once in Singapore.But those trips were worth it.I found what I wanted.


8."Industrial Buildings Have A High Chance Of Having Old,Unrenovated Toilets."

Another observation I made throughout the years.Industrial buildings and warehouses are not for people to view,unlike the shopping malls and offices.So it is ok not to renovate.

If you observe carefully,most industrial buildings and warehouses don't renovate their toilets.


9."The Lift Buttons,Floor Tiles,Fonts On The Signboards Of A Building Tells The Era Of The Toilet."


After many years of experience,I have come to a stage where I can easily guess what brand of toilets a building has.(Assuming it is in Singapore).

80% of the time,I am right.The flooring,door handles,lift buttons,fonts on the signboards are all hints to what era the toilet belongs to.

If you are looking for an old toilet,you won't go into a building with all the new designs.You are going to get disappointed.

However,it is not guaranteed that if you see old flooring,old door handles,old fonts on signboards,you will find old toilets in that building.It increases your chances,but it is not 100%.


10."If You Can't Find The Toilet,Smell It Out."

I was in Hong Kong last year.I was searching for a public toilet that was on the map.However,when I went there,I was unable to see the toilet.

There seemed to be no toilets there.I knew the toilet was there somehow,because the Food & Environment Department listed it on its website.

Due to the lack of time,I panicked.After a while,I had an idea.I started to smell the toilet out.

Later on,I discovered that I was standing above the toilet all the while.The toilet was below where I was standing.I was actually standing on a hilly road.

So if you can't find it,smell it out.

That's my 10 toilet quotes.Hope you find them useful.I wish you the best of luck in finding your dream toilets.:)

3 comments:

James said...

I like these, they shall be useful for me hunting down toilets! Thanks!

Marco said...

I'm glad you liked them.The inspiration came after many years of research.:)

D said...

Good tips, very useful for me too. Thank you...
WC international