Friday, November 2, 2007

The Lost Toilets...Squatting SP 1st Batch & Squatting JP

The 2 long lost toilets...finally captured on video.

Introducing...Singapore's Squatting JP and Squatting 1st Generation SP.These 2 toilets are actually side by side.They are taken from a coffee shop at Blk 212,Toa Payoh Lorong 8.

It's really great that they have not renovated the place.If not,these 2 toilets would really be lost.
First,let me talk about JP.The squatting JP you see here is actually not the original toilet.This toilet has been replaced.There are 2 things that show this.

One,look at the color of the mosaic,they are not consistent.Two,JP belongs to the mid 1980s era.This toilet belongs to the 1970s.

JP is only found in Singapore.I have not seen it in Malaysia or any other asian country.Surprisingly,JP does not have any sitting toilets,only squatting ones.

The first time I came across JP was also the same time I came across a Black Shires Cistern.That was back in 1984,at Funan Center.

I can never forget my first flush,that springy effect from the handle,the powerful flush.Sadly,Funan Center renovated its toilets twice,once after the refurbishment and the second time was recently.

The other place that also had JPs was Tekka Market,along Serangoon Road.That was the cheapest toilet in Singapore back then.Only 5 cents per entry while other toilets charged 10 cents.

Even during its era,JP was also quite rare.You can only find it in a handful of places.It is really a blessing to be able to shoot a video of this toilet at this era.



Next,it is the first generation squatting SP.Look at the brand logo,it is different from the Beauty World Center SPs.This is the very first batch of SPs.The logo looks a bit like Johore Pipe Company though.

This toilet belongs to the early to mid 1970s.They are a rare sight nowdays.From what I know,this is the only 1st generation squatting SP around.

The flushing sound is quite smooth,just like the next batch,with the new brand logo.The third batch is louder,not as smooth.But the third batch goes very well with the Black Shires Cistern.They are a match made in heaven.

I first came across this type of toilet in the late 1980s.That was at Shaw Plaza at Balestier Road.There was also a cinema there.However,the old Shaw Plaza was demolished and rebuilt.

The other place I saw this type of toilet was at a tailor's shop at Blk 7,Telok Blangah Crescent.That toilet had a Green Sky Cistern.The Green cistern was very common in the 1960s and 1970s.You can't find them now.

This is the 3rd Squatting 1st Generation SP that I came across.The photo is a little disguisting,but I had no choice,this is the clearest photo I have on hand.


Now,it's time for the videos.Coming up first,it's the squatting JP.There is something wrong with this toilet as the sound is a bit out.It doesn't sound like the olden days.

But this is the only JP I can find.If I can find another one,I will shoot it on video and you can compare their flushing sounds.Meanwhile,enjoy this first.

Next,you will look at the squatting SP 1st Batch.I have taken 2 videos because of the light factor.The first video is a little dark and difficult to see.Here it is...





Now for TAKE 2!This is brighter because I took it in Night Mode.The sad thing is this video is not as smooth as the last.But enjoy the flushing sound!

2 comments:

James said...

That's interesting. To me it looks like a lot of squatting toilets have mosaic, and I can seearound that toilet the colour is lighter but further away it is lighter.

So they do have green cisterns, never thought they'd exist.

Marco said...

Yeah,the mosaics belong to the older toilets.New toilets don't really use mosaics.

The way to see if a toilet is replaced is to look at the flooring surrounding it.

If the color or mosaics are consistent,then the toilet is probably original.

If not,then it has been replaced.

Yeah,they are quite nice,but I have no idea where to find them now.:(