Friday, August 17, 2007

Singapore's Johore Pipe Company

Johore Pipe Company is Malaysia's national brand for toilets.It is very common to find Johore Pipe Company toilets around 10-15 years ago.But due to renovations and upgradings,it's not as common as before.

Malaysia has its own versions of Johore Pipe Company toilets.I will do a post on Malaysia's versions of Johore Pipe Company toilets.In this post,I will only show the Singapore versions.

Currently,to date,there are 5 types of squatting and 2 types of sitting Johore Pipe Company toilets in Singapore.

Out of the 6 types,2 of them are shown here.I am still trying to look for the other 4.But it won't be too difficult to find 3 of them as they are relatively new.The 2 types that you see here are among the oldest batch.

The oldest Johore Pipe Company toilet dates back to 1965.If you are lucky,you might be able to find them at the Old Airport Road housing estates.

The 2 types that you see here are from the late 1970s to mid 1980s.The picture you see below is the 1980s batch.The shape of the water hole is slightly from the late 1970s batch.You can compare them below.

The photo below was taken at a coffee shop at Balestier Road.It's quite difficult to find this type of Johore Pipe Company toilet these days.It was taken 3 years ago.



The photo below shows the late 1970s batch.If I am not wrong,this batch started in 1975 or 1977.This photo was taken at the Serangoon Bus Interchange.The toilet still exists today.But only the first cubicle is Johore Pipe Company.2nd cubicle is Potex and the 3rd cubicle is Sitting Armitage Shanks.


Johore Pipe Company is still one of my favourite brands up to this day.Although I used to like it more for a different reason.It is not the flushing sound,but the good luck it brings me.

Believe me or not.Whenever I encounter this toilet,that day was always lucky.Especially the 1980s batch.This toilet became my lucky charm after that.But that was the past.I used to welcome the sight of this toilet during my younger days.

If you look closely at the photo(1980s batch),it resembles a smiling face.Especially the bottom of the water hole.It looks like a double-chin person smiling.Probably I associated that with good luck during my younger days.

I managed to shoot a video of the late 1970s batch recently.This video was shot at 126 Eating House at Sims Avenue,Geylang.It is one of the few Johore Pipe Company toilets left today.I would try to shoot the other 3 types and post them here in the future.

If you are lucky enough,I might be able to find the 1965 batch.I will try to find it.Meanwhile,enjoy the video.


No comments: