Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ngau Tau Kok Public Toilet/Bath House - The Bi-Identity Toilet

I have been waiting for this day!To be able to show you all the different public toilets that I visited in Hong Kong.This was an idea from my friend,James.

I think it is really a great idea.Seeing a video only doesn't really tell much about a toilet.It's like looking at a woman's private parts without knowing how she looks like.Well,you get the idea...

Today,I will introduce you to the Bi-identity toilet.A toilet with 2 brands.It is quite rare to see this in Hong Kong.I have only seen one of them before.It was at a market in Mei Foo,under the fly-over.I didn't have my video cam back then and I really wished to see this type of toilet again.

The law of attraction never fails.As you can see,I managed to find another one.And here you go...Presenting Ngau Tau Kok Public Toilet/Bath House.


After visiting this public toilet,I realized that squatting Victorys in disguise are also considered a lucky charm for me.If you read my post on my favorite toilet in Hong Kong,the Jubilee Street Public Toilet,you will know that the squatting Victorys are my lucky charm.If I see them,my whole day will be very smooth.

If I don't see any of them on a certain day,that day is usually not right.I kept watch on this trend since 2000.

Anyway,back to this toilet.It is a toilet cum bath house.In Hong Kong,there are still poor people with no homes.The government takes care of them by providing public bath houses for them to bathe.These bath houses usually are attached to a public toilet and are usually 3 levels high.

This bathhouse is surprisingly on the ground floor.

The ladies toilet is probably on the second level.Usually the trend in Hong Kong is that the gents are on the higher levels and the ladies are usually on the ground floor.

There are 5 cubicles in this toilet.All of them are cistern flushes.The bowls are also uniform.All 5 are squatting and all look the same.Look at the photo below and you know what I mean...

Now,the question is...Why is this called a bi-identity toilet?

Let me direct your attention to the Victory logo slightly above the hole.Do you see it?Next,look at the TWYFORD logo at the top middle of the toilet bowl.Do you see 2 brands?

Now,my question is...Is this a Victory or TWYFORD?

This is the reason for calling it a Bi-Identity toilet.It has 2 brands.Do you know what brand it is?You need to listen to the flushing sound to identify the brand.Provided you know the difference between a Victory and a TWYFORD.

I have included the video below.Listen to the flushing sound and see if you can tell which brand it is.I will reveal the answer at the end.




Now,are you able to tell whether it is Victory or TWYFORD?

The answer is Victory.Listen to the high pitched sound.TWYFORD's flushing sound is more smooth.

The TWYFORD you see is actually a cover.The squatting TWYFORD has 2 parts,a cover and the toilet bowl itself.You can separate the bowl from the cover and add a Victory to substitute the bowl.

I highly suspect that this toilet retained its old bowls and just underwent a face life.The Victory you see here is the older batch of Victorys from the 1980s.Looking at the new TWYFORD cover and the floor tiles,this toilet was probably renovated in 2002.

This toilet is located at 1,Ting Fu Street.It is near Kwun Tong Road.You can take a bus to Kwun Tong Road and walk in.Ting Fu Street is where they shot "Bug Me Not",starring Isabella Leung.

In my next post,I will introduce you to the pure breed of TWYFORDs.You will be able to tell the difference in their flushing sound with this toilet.Stay tuned.

6 comments:

bob said...

I knew it was a Victory because a:it sounds nothing like a Twyfords b:Victory pushes the water to the hole and twyfords water comes more from the sides c:the bowl looks like victory.

bob said...

edit c:victory has an after flush

James said...

A video doesn't tell as much a a blog post and videos, no.

This is interesting, toilet brands always compete, unless, like you said they probably kept the cover and changed the bowl.

Would there be any more toilets in the bath house or is it just in the toilet area?

Marco said...

toilet man,I'm impressed with your knowledge of Victory toilets.:)

What you say about the after flush and the sound is very true.

May I know which country are you from?

Marco said...

james,for this toilet,the bath house and the toilet occupy the same area,therefore there are no toilets in the bath area.

However,there are some toilets where the bath house and the toilets are on different floors.In this case,there will also be toilets in the bath house.

Usually,the bath area is on the 2nd floor and the toilets are on the 3rd floor.

Joel Krueger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.